...Fresh from two day's time off, and I'm back, but I'm struggling.
...On the surface, it's because I'm tired. I've been on some level of awake since the two o'clock hour. I got up to pee, and found the two fans had been left on. Katie stayed up, and must have been either really tired or forgot. By the time I took care of everything I had voices in my head and cortisol in my veins. I never got around to relaxing or sleeping, so I got up at 0430 and started my day. No matter how much of an early bird I've been previously it isn't exactly happening now.
...I world is still on fire. People are pushing against the Covid policies designed to protect them from themselves (and others). Cities are rioting for George Floyd and what else I'm not certain (and frankly, neither are they). It's a mess.
...I don't like change.
...That's putting it mildly. I push and kick and fight tooth and nail -- mostly not because I'm confrontational, but because it's more that I don't fully grasp what's being handed to me. Give me some explanation, some training -- something to sink my teeth into and I'll be your Huckleberry, but until then I'm going to sweat everything and lose sleep.
...Which brings me to changes closer to the jacket.
...A year ago, when I started with this company, it looked different. We had a person that was the intermediary between grunts and management. Shit hit the fan, and she was gone. A lot of long term positions at our Main Branch suddenly "retired" or went away. When a position here went empty, they never made an attempt to replace it. When I moved to a better time slot, it took several months to replace me, and another agent that left. Along with these changes, a New Project was added, new staff wined and dined and paid better. My project was kicked to Second Fiddle and frankly we did it so well here that we didn't need anyone, but it would have been nice.
...At the first of the year the Owner stepped down and sold out to a holding company. Anything that made life nice around here has slowly died. No birthday or anniversary recognition. No attendance recognition. No certificates of achievement. Meals and potlucks have gone the way of Covid-19 and working from home. No Team Lunch or Lunch on the Client for a job well done. Nothing. Crickets.
...Our in-house VP, the one who hired me, has changed positions and will no longer have any direct effect on me and mine. I'm not sure just how they will do this 1100 miles to the east but that's why they make the big bucks.
...Other changes include the auditioning for 2 other positions -- one I'm probably better suited for (talent acquisition and retention -- it's a puff job) and a Performance Analyst that required doing all the detail work; listening to calls and scoring, heading off problems and problem employees, etc. It's a step up and a dollar more, and given that I'm not going out in a Silver Mercedes, I'm probably going to apply. I just don't want to step on toes, and I got a nice letter of encouragement from the VP of Ops. I'm just struggling.
...From what I've seen, people in this position aren't happy (but Jill naturally is), and they seem terribly put out at times ( like when they actually have to do something).
...There's a certain amount of leeway where I am now, now that I've found it. I don't have to act the role of Management, although I miss is, and it's with me wherever I go.
...I don't know how others will respond. Others that have been here longer, or attached to this project longer. Hell, I never got the in's and out's so there's that. But if nothing, I'm adaptable, and I've learned how to do the hand-off/side step.
...I'm going to consider this, and I'll let you know. I've got some soul searching to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment